Decking Seren (Part3)

Decking Seren (Part3)

I shouldn’t be so cynical, Amazon is still not my favourite retailer but Dino Decking is OK. It’s taking a long time though due to delays caused by weather, family commitments and laziness.

Framework for the new deck

The framework is made from Dino’s joist material. As you can see from the end nearest the camera it is rectangular with two almost square holes running through it. That makes it tricky to join so I made hardwood plugs to fit into the ends and glued and screwed them using Gorilla Glue and stainless steel screws. More glue and screws fixed the frame to the GRP superstructure.

I’m doing the decking now but that has been complicated by having to fit the gas locker on the port side of the deck and run the gas pipe under the deck and into the cabin on the starboard side. Three planks fit from cabin to transom then two cunningly shaped ones will overhang at the stern and stretch right across to the transom corners to make getting on/off as easy as possible. I’ll post more soon.

During the recent rainy season I’ve been getting on panelling the ‘wetroom’. There’ll be a post on that too when it’s finished.

Looks like the trip to Llangollen will start Tuesday 4th or Wednesday 5th of June…

Decking Seren (part 1)

Decking Seren (part 1)

It appears that the Trentcraft 25 was available with outboard or inboard engines. The outboard version just has a well at the stern and a door for access to the engine only. Seren has an inboard engine (in the front cockpit with a long propshaft in the keel). In this version the well is decked over (in GRP) and the deck extended beyond the hull making it easier to get on and off the boat, especially on canals where the towpath is normally about 150mm above the water.

Seren with deck removed

I think Seren has at sometime been shunted from behind because the deck was damaged and bodged with wood and car body filler. As you’d expect the filler cracked and the wood rotted so I’ve removed it all. The photo shows Seren without her rear deck. The lump in the middle is concrete ballast intended, I assume, to compensate for the lack of an outboard on the transom and the presence of a Perkins diesel up front.

You can also see that the original central door has been replaced with a double door which is quite a good idea but not well done. A job for next year. What you can’t see is that the roof has been cut away above the door to enable a sliding hatch, but then someone changed their mind and bodged that with more ply and filler. So add that to the list for next year too.

Meanwhile, the next task is to replace the deck. Having pondered wood (it rots) and GRP (expensive and difficult) I had a brainwave. Make the deck from ‘decking’. Composite decking planks and joists are made from a blend of wood fibre and recycled plastic. They are water resistant and don’t need maintenance beyond an occasional wash.

Got to get on with it because the rear deck is the only BSS-legal place to put a gas locker and I’m off to Llangollen in June…