It started raining (again) as Woodulike were fitting the rafters and we decided that fitting the plywood sarking and leaving it out in the rain wasn’t a smart idea, so we left it off. Good job, it rained for most of the next two weeks soaking the temporary chipboard floor. In a brief pause in the weather Gareth and I fitted the plywood sheets and gave them a good coating of preservative in case it rained before we could fit the shingles. It did.
I’ve done felt roofs on basic sheds before but wanted something better looking and more durable on this project. Asphalt shingles are made in sheets of 4, 1 metre long out of something resembling heavy duty roofing felt. They have a strong glassfibre layer that should stop them tearing in the wind. We’ll see. They certainly look better than felt, and weren’t hard to fit either.
Most of the shingles are just nailed down but the edges and the ridge were stuck with bitumen adhesive too. I cut a hole for the stove flue before we shingled the roof, I’ll cut through the shingles when I fit the stove but meanwhile it’s weatherproof.
The bargeboards on the end of the roof are arranged so they fit over the edge of the shingles to stop the wind lifting them off.
The bargeboard on the SW side is a bit odd since it helps support the guttering so that rainwater from both sides of the roof will run into a single waterbutt.
Fitting the guttering was a bit scary…
As usual round here the water is collected for the garden.